March 10, 2018
I love podcasts. I listen to a LOT of podcasts. I often wonder how on earth I entertained myself before discovering podcasts. Podcasts exist on almost every subject imaginable, and they’re the perfect entertainment for mundane adult tasks like driving, emptying the dishwasher, folding laundry… the list goes on an on. They're also a great alternative for those of us (*raises hand*) that are trying to cut back on our screen time before bed. Not surprisingly I love podcasts about interiors and design, but I also have more than a slight obsession with true crime podcasts.
Looking for some recommendations? Read on for a few podcasts I’m loving right now.
1. 99% Invisible This long-running podcast examines the often unnoticed design behind the things all around us. Episodes range from the (fascinating) story of birth control packaging to the phenomenon of the dollar store. Another favourite: McMansion Hell.
2. Bloom & Grow Radio A fun little podcast for urban gardeners, this NYC-based show is perfect for both the beginner and experienced houseplant parent. Check out this episode on how not to kill your succulents. (PSA- their opening theme song might get stuck in your head).
3. A Few Things with Claire & Erica This weekly podcast is by the women at Of A Kind, one of my favourite sites for discovering emerging fashion and home designers. Claire and Erica have an amazing aesthetic, and their podcast highlights the things they’re loving. Check out this episode on no-fuss flower arranging and small-batch textile production.
4. How to Decorate In addition to answering listener design questions and discussing decor basics (like how to layout a room), the southern hosts of this podcast interview industry-insiders and interior designers, dropping a whole lotta design gems along the way. If you’re a colour nerd like me, try this episode on making colour choices for home interiors.
5. Someone Know Something Ok- this has nothing to do with interiors or design, but sometimes you need a change, right? This Canadian-made podcast is beautifully narrated, and tells the story of a different criminal cold case in each of its four seasons. Start at the beginning with season one, episode one.
There you have it- 5 podcasts that are on my playlist. Not sure what exactly a podcast is or how to find one? That’s okay. Check out this article to get you started. Happy listening!
(Pssst. Like what you're reading? Sign up for our newsletter here and get 10% off your first Homeday order.)
Comments will be approved before showing up.
May 02, 2018
April 17, 2018
April 10, 2018
I’m a little obsessive about sleep. And I have to admit- I’m one of those annoying people who gets a solid seven to eight hours of sleep each night. While there are lots of really real reasons why a good night's sleep isn’t a reality for everyone (shift work, babies, a snoring person in your bed), I’m a big believer that a few simple changes to your space can make a big difference in how you live and feel. Read on for 5 ways to make your bedroom a sleep sanctuary.