March 10, 2018
I love podcasts. I listen to a LOT of podcasts. I often wonder how on earth I entertained myself before discovering podcasts. Podcasts exist on almost every subject imaginable, and they’re the perfect entertainment for mundane adult tasks like driving, emptying the dishwasher, folding laundry… the list goes on an on. They're also a great alternative for those of us (*raises hand*) that are trying to cut back on our screen time before bed. Not surprisingly I love podcasts about interiors and design, but I also have more than a slight obsession with true crime podcasts.
Looking for some recommendations? Read on for a few podcasts I’m loving right now.
1. 99% Invisible This long-running podcast examines the often unnoticed design behind the things all around us. Episodes range from the (fascinating) story of birth control packaging to the phenomenon of the dollar store. Another favourite: McMansion Hell.
2. Bloom & Grow Radio A fun little podcast for urban gardeners, this NYC-based show is perfect for both the beginner and experienced houseplant parent. Check out this episode on how not to kill your succulents. (PSA- their opening theme song might get stuck in your head).
3. A Few Things with Claire & Erica This weekly podcast is by the women at Of A Kind, one of my favourite sites for discovering emerging fashion and home designers. Claire and Erica have an amazing aesthetic, and their podcast highlights the things they’re loving. Check out this episode on no-fuss flower arranging and small-batch textile production.
4. How to Decorate In addition to answering listener design questions and discussing decor basics (like how to layout a room), the southern hosts of this podcast interview industry-insiders and interior designers, dropping a whole lotta design gems along the way. If you’re a colour nerd like me, try this episode on making colour choices for home interiors.
5. Someone Know Something Ok- this has nothing to do with interiors or design, but sometimes you need a change, right? This Canadian-made podcast is beautifully narrated, and tells the story of a different criminal cold case in each of its four seasons. Start at the beginning with season one, episode one.
There you have it- 5 podcasts that are on my playlist. Not sure what exactly a podcast is or how to find one? That’s okay. Check out this article to get you started. Happy listening!
(Pssst. Like what you're reading? Sign up for our newsletter here and get 10% off your first Homeday order.)
Comments will be approved before showing up.
November 24, 2019
Back in August, an editor at the U.K. magazine Mollie Makes emailed me to ask if I would be interested in designing and making a trio of punch needle animal stuffies for their December 2019 cover. I’ll admit I was intimidated- the deadline was tight considering my kids were still home with me for summer break, and I had more than a bit of performance anxiety (what if they’re just “meh” about the final product?). In the end I said yes, and I’m so thrilled with how this project turned out!
November 03, 2019
November 01, 2019
This month I was featured in an article by Chatelaine Magazine on bringing punch needle into your home décor. The article touches on the current trend of punch needle, its history, and profiles a number of talented punch needle artists selling patterns, supplies, and finished work. Writer Iris Benaroia interviewed me for the article and included a great little write-up of me and my work. I love the quote she included of me describing punch needle as “the least frustrating craft I’ve ever tried”. Perfectly summed up!